Houston Intoxicated Manslaughter Defense Lawyers
If you are facing a DWI arrest, you face many potential problems that include jail time, heavy fines and driver’s license revocation. Penalties can be further enhanced when the DWI charge involves injury or death to another person. At the law firm of Schaffer Carter & Associates, we provide dedicated DWI defense services to people throughout the Houston area who have been charged with serious drinking and driving offenses.
Take Legal Action Immediately
Driving while intoxicated is a serious offense. Legal action is always necessary in a DWI case. When the offense involves injury to a person or damage to property, the need for representation from an experienced attorney is even greater. Convictions of some DWI offenses, such as manslaughter, carry the most severe penalties. Our Houston intoxicated manslaughter defense attorneys are dedicated to building a strong defense on your behalf. We have significant experience in getting charges reduced and minimizing the impact of a DWI charge, including comprehensive intoxicated manslaughter defense.
Our lawyers can determine if there was probable cause for the traffic stop. We analyze the accuracy of the field sobriety tests and Breathalyzer results. We can identify inconsistencies and weaknesses in both law enforcement statements and witness statements. We thoroughly and carefully examine all issues that were involved in your arrest.
Aggressive Defense and Personal Attention When You Need it the Most
Schaffer Carter & Associates has handled DWI defense cases for over 20 years. We can help you with DWI offenses involving the following:
- Intoxicated manslaughter/homicide
- Intoxicated assault
- Drug possession
- Property damage
Effectively Challenging Blood Draw Evidence
Recently, blood draws have become more significant in Texas DWI cases for many reasons. Although there is a large consensus of people who oppose involuntary blood draws, law enforcement has used compelling reasons for using them.
It used to be, getting pulled over on suspicion of DWI, an individual was given an opportunity to perform different field sobriety tests and asked to blow into a Breathalyzer. However, now that blood draws are becoming more frequent, your lawyer must be aware of procedures and laws governing blood draws. Specifically, when can blood draws be used, how should blood be stored, how it should be transported and how it should be tested.
Thorough Harris County, Texas, DWI Blood Test Challenge Attorneys
The lawyers at Schaffer Carter & Associates are skilled in asking certain questions if you have taken a blood test and the BAC level came back higher the 0.08 percent:
- Did the officer ask you to submit a blood sample?
- Did you consent to the blood withdrawal?
- Was the sample taken properly, including being administered by a trained medical person?
- Was test tube pre-loaded with anticoagulants and preservatives?
- Was the testing site sanitary?
- Was the location of the testing sample tracked on paper and was the sample periodically inspected before it was tested?
We will also do the following to make sure all proper procedures were taken:
- We will perform an independent forensic analysis of the blood.
- We will ensure that anticoagulants and preservatives were added to maintain the sample’s quality.
- We will follow the path of the blood sample until it arrived at the lab. If we can prove that part of this path is missing from the state’s paperwork, the sample is inadmissible.
- If any part of the journey resulted in the blood being held in an unsuitable storage place, we will work to have the sample suppressed as evidence.
- If you were forced against your will, to provide the blood sample, your charges may be dropped.
- We may re-test the blood to ensure the lab’s accuracy and if there is any question if the blood was actually yours, we will test the blood type and maybe even DNA against your own.
If you or a loved one is facing serious DWI charges and you need a trial attorney who knows how to conduct a proper DWI blood test challenge, seek help today from a law firm that is dedicated to protecting your rights and your future. Contact Schaffer Carter & Associates to schedule a consultation.